This book is written from a Latter-day Saints perspective. While I’m not an LDS follower, I found some valuable nuggets from this mother’s experience, who wrote the book after having a miscarriage.
The miracle of a baby’s creation begins long before science can detect.
- The cell has never before existed in the history of the world, and never will another individual exactly like it exist.
- At 18 days following conception, the heart begins to beat, and by 21 days it is pumping blood.
- Some doctors believe that a baby’s personality is apparent even in the womb.
- When a baby is lost, it is indeed the loss of something–someone–very special.
Losing a baby is a life-changing event, much as is giving birth to a healthy baby.
To be so closely attached, first to life, and then to death, brings a woman’s own mortality to consciousness, increasing her sense of vulnerability….
When preparing to give life, no one prepares to say goodbye.
Women who experience the loss of a baby often have such bizarre thoughts and emotions that they actually begin to question their own sanity.
Ideas to facilitate your emotional recovery:
- Trust yourself and your judgment
- Accept each stage of grief
- Envision yourself giving your baby to Christ
- Write a letter to your baby
- Put an obituary in the paper
- Help other women